The Awosika Museum and Hall of Fame located at number 2 Odotu Street Ondo was officially opened in Ondo Cioty on 11 December 2021. The opening ceremony was well attended by the Osemawe of Ondo, his high chiefs and chiefs, dignitaries, Awosika family friends from all corners of Nigeria (Abuja, Kaduna, Lagos), United States of America, London, and Germany Declaring the Museum open, the His Imperial Majesty Oba Dr. Victor Adesimbo Kiladejo, Jillo III CFR, the Osemawe and Paramount Ruler of Ondo Kingdom thanked the Awosika Family for the magnificent edifice which will enhance tourism to Ondo Kingdom. He invited other families in the city to emulate the good example laid down by the Awosika family especially with the reconstruction of the old and historical Odotu Lane (Liwanja street) with interlocking stones to beautify the adjacent areas around the museum.
As recorded in the Book of Families in the Library of Congress of the United States of America the Awosika family from Ondo City Nigeria is one of the largest families in Nigeria and even in Africa. The Awosika family house which is located at the round-about in Odotu street Ondo City Nigeria, is recognised as the main Awosika family house in Ondo where the first Awosika High Chief Sasere Ayotilerewa Awosika who died on 9th April 1909 at the ripe age of 90 lived with his family consisting of wives and children. The building has been in existence for a very long time at the least 160years ago as at 2019 (Carbon 14 dating). This “Listed Building” originally built with mud has been structurally restored.
The restoration from donations by Awosika family members and friends all over the world was professionally executed to ensure stability of the aged building while keeping the spaces intact as well as providing modern lighting, ventilation, conveniences, and ventilation. Also restored as part of the Museum complex is the Mosque built by the side of the old Awosika house between 1890 and 1910 by the Awosika family initially for the muslim community in and around Odotu area Ondo. This is the second oldest mosque in Ondo Kingdom.
The Museum complex consists of (i) The Awosika Gallery, (ii) The Awosika Hall of Fame, (iii) Ekimogun Gallery and (iv) Chief Dr. Victor Oloyede Awosika Exhibition Hall and the Awosika Mausoleum.
For their contribution to the progress of Ondo Kingdom, the Awosika family and Nigeria, a total 12 deceased and one living Awosika family members were also inducted into the Hall of Fame during the official opening of the Museum.
The Chairman of the Museum Board of Trustees Chief Losare Benson Awosika in his opening remarks at the official opening informed all present that the museum is now registered with the Federal Government Corporate Affairs Commission as a non-profit Organisation and admission to the Museum is free. Professor Larry Awosika – Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the Museum, thanked His Imperial Majesty the Osemawe and Paramount Ruler of Ondo Kingdom and all who came to witness the official opening and invite the public and those in diaspora to visit the Museum anytime from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday.
His Imperial Majesty Oba Dr. Victor Adesimbo Kiladejo, Jillo III CFR, the Osemawe and Paramount Ruler of Ondo Kingdom viewing the displays at the Musuem
His Imperial Majesty Oba Dr. Victor Adesimbo Kiladejo, Jillo III CFR, the Osemawe and Paramount Ruler of Ondo Kingdom viewing the Awosika Pillar of Religion displays at the Museum
His Imperial Majesty Oba Dr. Victor Adesimbo Kiladejo, Jillo III CFR, the Osemawe and Paramount Ruler of Ondo Kingdom viewing the displays at the Ekimogun gallery in the Museum
His Imperial Majesty Oba Dr. Victor Adesimbo Kiladejo, Jillo III CFR, the Osemawe and Paramount Ruler of Ondo Kingdom with Ondo High Chiefs and dignitaries in the Museum Exhibition Hall
Unveiling the Bronze cast of inductees to the Hall of Fame in the Museum at the opening.
The Osemawe of Ondo Kingdom, the High chiefs and dignitaries with some Awosika Family members with at the opening of the Museum and Hall of